Consumer electronics after-sales: 4 steps to success
blogJuly 25, 2023
From warranties to repair services, here's how you can plug into better after-sales.
1. Get your data in order
The foundation of any successful after-sales strategy is data. More specifically, it lies in the relationships you can create between customer data and product information. Without getting these inputs right, you simply won’t be able to provide your customers with the comprehensive services they need and expect.
The data doesn’t stop there, either. Once your after-sales program is up and running those services become a rich source of data and insight into your customers. Such as how they use your products, the problems they encounter, their opinion of your brand, and much more. This insight can, in turn, inform how you evolve your marketing and product development strategy. From targeted marketing campaigns to product design, this data can have wide-ranging uses.
2. Align your after-sales strategy to your business goals
You might think that all after-sales strategies have the same overall goal: to provide your customers with a much more comprehensive service. This is largely true, but getting more granular in your approach is ideal.
For example, start with your current business results and data. Ask yourself what product lines or business segments aren’t performing optimally. Are you looking to increase new sales by positioning superior service to the competition? Or do you want to grow revenue by better serving your existing customers? The former may require something like offering free product demonstrations while building a great loyalty program could be the right move for the latter.
3. Start with the after-sales basics
Indeed, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to consumer electronics after-sales. However, there are a number of tried and tested processes to leverage.
When it comes to caring for their personal electronics consumers want one thing: convenience. Convenience in after-sales usually translates to having a simple repair process that is easy for the customer to access and use, plus is responsive to their needs, questions, and expectations. For example, being put on hold by a customer support line will likely lead to frustration. Finally, it means being personal with your service. Customers want to know they and their problem matter to you.
With that in mind, a good consumer electronics after-sales strategy can build off these three key attributes:
- Comprehensive warranties: Providing a warranty shows that you are confident in the quality of your products and are willing to stand behind them. It further gives customers peace of mind that they are covered if something goes wrong.
- Convenient and accessible customer support: From 24/7 phone lines, live online chat, or email support, make it as easy as possible for customers to get help when they need it.
- Loyalty rewards programs: These programs are a great way to provide more value to your existing customers and reward them for their continued support, through perks like discounts, free shipping, or early access to new products.
4. Expand your after-sales reach
One of the most significant impacts of an effective after-sales strategy is capturing more revenue streams from new and existing customer relationships. Most customers are willing to pay more for additional services or features that provide them with extra security or make their lives simpler – as long as they receive enough value to warrant the extra cost.
Here are some ways a consumer electronics after-sales strategy can open up new revenue streams:
- Upsell and cross-selling: When customers contact you for after-sales support, you can use the opportunity to upsell or cross-sell them other products or services that you offer. For example, if a customer needs their washing machine repaired, you could also offer them a free cleaning service or a discount on a new washing machine.
- Upgrade programs: Your customers might really value having an easy way to make sure they always have the latest model or functionality. Many will be willing to pay an additional fee for it, too.
- Trade-in programs: These can be a great way to encourage your customers to replace older products with new ones. As well as helping you generate additional revenue, these programs can also reduce your business’s environmental impact.
- Financing options: Making your products more affordable for your customers is an effective way of increasing sales. That said, it’s important to put in place measures to make sure you’re both complying with all relevant laws and helping to protect potentially vulnerable customers.
Want to see how this works in the real world? Check out the after-sales offering from leading consumer electronics brand Miele.
The PIM that powers the full after-sales experience
With the right consumer electronics after-sales strategy in place, you can build relationships with customers that can increase brand loyalty, consumer insight, and revenue opportunities. With good data at the heart of any successful after-sales strategy, the recommended first step is to build with the strong foundation PIM software provides.
The inriver PIM solution is uniquely positioned to power your after-sales strategy. Our fully scalable elastic data model allows for limitless product-part-attribute relationships today, tomorrow, and always. As the most complete PIM on the market, the inriver platform also has built-in syndication and digital shelf analytics technology to help manage your strategy before and during the sale, too. Want to see how we do it? Book a personalized guided demo with one of our experts today and discover how inriver can revolutionize your post-purchase potential.